Re: Degree

Subject: Re: Degree
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:34:54 -0500

Okay - I admit - the jig is up and I am now found out to be the fraud that I
am. I have no degrees or certificates. I won't even mention my (non)level of
education. It's really amazing though, how my lack of formal education has not
prevented me from pursuing chosen avenues with companies that worship pieces of

I was with Xerox in a progression of positions. They have a policy of only
hiring people with degrees. I joined them as a Customer Education
Representative, already having several years of adult education experience and
acing their numerous tests. I progressed to Customer Education Analyst,
Systems Analyst - Field Service Systems, Technical Support Analyst - Office
Systems Products, ending as National Service Support Representative. Along the
way I learned to write.

I contracted as a Technical Writer for three years for a financial software
company. Average pay - $40/hr for writing/editing, $80/hr for consulting.

I'm captive at the moment, as a Technical Writer for a large retail
organization that worships MBA's. I'm making $60,000+. Mind you, this is all
in Canadian dollars, but IMHO good rates for this market.

In case the thought crossed any suspicious minds - I have never lied about my

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

On Friday, December 04, 1998 2:07 PM, Virgil Jones
[SMTP:virgil_jones -at- EMAIL -dot- COM] wrote:
> Tizer-
> I can identify with your posting. I work for a small company (been here 3-
> months) and I make under 30k a year. I don't have a degree. I have a
> Communications Certificate which. I kinda fell into the job by accident. I
> was working at the front desk and there was an opening for a entry-level
> technical communicator position. Because of my enthusiasm I got the job.
> However, I wonder how many people out there have no degree and are working as
> technical communicators?
> I'd like to here from those that don't have college degrees.
> VJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=