TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:why I want to Tech Write From:Emily Davidson <emilyfisher -at- YAHOO -dot- COM> Date:Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:30:54 -0800
On the question of why we do this, a lot of the replies seem to be
that people kind of wander into this field. I thought you might be
interested in what makes Tech writing my field of choice. I'm about
to graduate and have chosen to want to work in this field. Here's why:
1. I love writing
2. I know that you can't eat by writing fiction
3. I hate academia (no offense meant) because I see it as pompous and
4. I wouldn't be willing to work under the conditions journalists work
under (tried that, took the classes, but...)
5. Looked into tech writing, took the classes, loved it! (it
practical, my existence might mean something to the population at large)
6. I love technology and computers
7. Lots of opportunity in this field right now (at least, that's the
8. Contracting could give me the chance to work from home (if I decide
I want to)
I think that about covers it all briefly.
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com