Re: Problem with WinHelp32 and MSAccess97

Subject: Re: Problem with WinHelp32 and MSAccess97
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:22:16 -0500

Geoff,

Sounds as if it's a local Access97 installation problem at that site, or
a case of corrupted files. I've been using Access 97 for a year without
any shutdown errors. The best solution is to click on the Details button
when the "...will shutdown message" appears, copy the detailed text, and
then consult Microsoft's Internet Support pages or telephone support for
assistance.

On more than one instance, however, I have been surprised to select topics
via the Access97 help index only to be rewarded by a blank secondary screen!
Have never encountered blank help screens in any other active help system.

Good luck.

Roy

"Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" )" wrote:

> A colleague reported an interesting problem with the help system for
> Microsoft Access97: in both the original version, and the SR-2
> update, she is able to open the help file once, but the second time
> she tries, she gets a message that "this program [WinHelp32] has
> performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". More details:
> We're using Win95, and the problem occurs on multiple machines (but
> only with Access), so it's not just an installation problem on her
> machine.
>
> I suspect that this question borders on being off-topic, so to bring
> it back on topic, I'll expand the question: Is this a known problem
> with WinHelp itself, or something that relates solely to Access?
> Since I'll be starting work on a new WinHelp project later this
> month, is it a problem I'll have to watch out for in my own project?
> --Geoff Hart @8^{)}
> geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=