Re: Verb Usage

Subject: Re: Verb Usage
From: Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:20:25 -0500

jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM,Internet writes:
>the value, and uses it in the current function. I replaced "returns" with
>"retrieves", but the reviewer didn't like it.
>
>I'd rather use "retrieves" because it shows how the program goes to a
>destination and returns with information. I don't like "returns" because
>only indicates the journey back.
>
>Is "returns" an industry standard (check out Dilbert today at
>www.dilbert.com for a related funny) in the programming world, or can I
>push
>for the more accurate verb?
>
>Please respond off-list and I'll post a summary of what I get.
>--
>Be seeing you,

Was this the programmer person?

Anyway there are all sorts of functions with Get this "GetThat" names in
many APIs.
Seems to be a good verb to stick on the front of a function name (provided
the function Gets something).

Can't totally get what the GET thing does from your message, but if you're
documneting
an API, return (as in return value, or the return value of the function)
is a very
standard term used in programming. This may be what the reviewer is
reacting to, although
to you returns indicates one way, it's such a usual term for a function
that
retrieves sounds imprecise (to the reviewer).

Doug

Doug Nickerson
Bourne, MA.
Programmer/author/person/professional