Re: Verb Usage

Subject: Re: Verb Usage
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:57:20 -0500

John David Hickey wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm updating a programming guide and I'm having a hard time over a verb that
> keeps turning up. Maybe I can get a second opinion...
>
> The GET command returns the value of the variable as a string.
>
> What this command does is it goes to another part of the program, retrieves
> the value, and uses it in the current function. I replaced "returns" with
> "retrieves", but the reviewer didn't like it.
> I'd rather use "retrieves" because it shows how the program goes to a
> destination and returns with information. I don't like "returns" because
> only indicates the journey back.

While I can see your point, "return" is pretty much standard usage and
has been for a long time. I think you'll encounter a lot of resistance
from programmers if you try to introduce something else at this stage of
the game.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=