SUMMARY: FrameMaker->Web Publisher->JavaHelp

Subject: SUMMARY: FrameMaker->Web Publisher->JavaHelp
From: "goldd -at- netspace -dot- net -dot- au" <goldd -at- NETSPACE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:20:35 +1100

X-posting to Framers & Techwr-l (apologies for any doubling up)

Dear all

A couple of weeks ago I asked for ideas/advice/experience regarding getting
to JavaHelp from FrameMaker 5.5.6+SGML via Web Publisher. This actually
generated more off-line questions to me than answers. A few kind souls
responded who'd given the above a shot had pretty 'mixed' results. In
particular, for help and ideas thanks to Katav, Chris Hamilton, Bill
Swallow, Paul Carr, Mike Foster and Steven Evanina.

Mostly, for now, it seems that until JavaHelp is out of beta that the 'great
concept' remains mostly that. Neither Adobe nor Sun responded to my emails.
However, Quadralay were prompt (approx 4 days) in sending back a real
response from a real human being, a Tech Support person named Mike Johnson.
However, I've not yet heard a 'success' story from anyone using their
JavaHelp template.

If anyone has had a different experience in going from FM to JavaHelp via
Web Publisher I invite you to add your voice. Clearly, others (including
me!) will be interested to hear from you.

The slightly abridged response from Quadralay follows.

All the best
David Goldfajl

ph/fax: +61 03 9531 6882
email: goldd -at- netspace -dot- net -dot- au

> Currently with Publisher 4.0 we do have a JavaHelp template that you
> can download from our website. This can be found in our Publisher Support
> Knowledge Base in the JavaHelp article. You can use this with your
> installation of Frame+SGML with Publisher 4.0 to generate JavaHelp.

> We will also be including this template with the next version of
> Publisher 4.5 when it's released. Publisher 4.5 will also support the
> mapping of your SGML elements. Keep an eye to the website in the upcoming
> weeks for more information regarding the release of Publisher 4.5.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=