Re: J/E translator needed

Subject: Re: J/E translator needed
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:16:44 -0600

You wrote to techwr-l:

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 14:18:15 +0900
From: Kaori <skaori -at- INAME -dot- COM>
Subject: J/E Translator needed

Hi everyone,
We need Japanese to English/English to Japanese
technical translators on contract basis.
Since we have just started our business
translating computer/automobile manuals, we can't
offer a full-time position yet -- students are
welcome! We communicate by e-mail (Win95 or 98,
and Word/Excel, with JAPANESE FONT essential) or
fax.
Go to our web site, go to the bottom of the first
page titled "Kyujin" and sign up! Sorry, the form
is only in Japanese, but you can fill out in
English.
Or just contact us with your resume.

Kaori Sannomiya

WIP TOKYO/OSAKA JAPAN (GMT+0900)
(Head Operations Office)
3-6-27-8F Nishitenma Kita-ku Osaka 530-0047
Tel: +81-6-315-5230 Fax: +81-6-315-5231
(Tokyo Office)
Ginza Dai-Ichi Hotel 1F (Nadie)
8-13-1 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo 104-0061
Tel: +81-3-3547-3258 Fax: +81-3-3547-3259

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#]

My reply:

I think that asking for students to do translations will lead to big
problems with the quality of the translated materials. If you
want amateur work, hire an amateur. If you want quality work,
hire someone who understands the terms for the computer and
automotive industry in the target language (is it from Japanese
to English or from English to Japanese???) and someone who
has done this successfully. I suggest contacting local translation
firms or the American Translators' Association. If you need a
phone number to contact, please let me know...or others on this
list may provide it. Translation is not cheap, but getting a cheap
job is fruitless and very frustrating for the target audience.

Many translators work either independently or through translation
firms. Do not expect them to want to work full time for your firm,
it's not required. To find out more about the process of managing
a quality translation, I suggest reading Nancy Hoft's book,
_International Technical Communication_ (1995, John Wiley and
Sons). If you would like more information about finding a
translator, contact me directly, not to the list (reply to address
below).

Regards,
Betsy Maaks
reply to: bmaaks -at- tellabs -dot- com