Re: Respect

Subject: Re: Respect
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:09:41 -0500

Here's my list of thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Respect yourself and your work.
2. Know your job, but always keep learning. Never be afraid to learn
something new.
3. Ask intelligent questions. Do your research. Check files, find
information from books or the internet, and answer your own questions
whenever you can. (Bottom line: don't waste people's time.)
4. Be open minded.
5. Always admit when you're wrong.
6. Be willing to say "I'm sorry."
7. Offer to fix something, or at least to try to make it better, when you
screw up.
8. Offer to help before people ask for help. Conversely, don't be afraid to
ask for help if you are confused, buried under too much stuff, out of your
league, etc.
9. Be honest. Candor (to me) is a highly valuable trait, and not always too
common.
10. Remember there are four things that you shouldn't talk about at work:
money, religion, sex, and politics. Discuss those topics with friends and
family, not your coworkers.
11. Express your opinions (about work), but don't be inflexible about them.
Try not to make them personal. Always focus on the work at hand, not
personalities.
12. Don't say "No" or "It can't be done" immediately when someone suggests a
new idea. Take time to think over what they've said, and ask yourself "Why
can't it be done?" Great ideas are often too readily dismissed or
overlooked.
13. Remember that you are part of a team. Always try to act as if that's the
case, even if other team members do not. Remember: very few products result
from the efforts of one person.

Do I follow all these rules all the time? No, not many people can, but I try
to keep them in mind.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Lydia
Lydia Wong