Re: USER Guides

Subject: Re: USER Guides
From: "Caroline Briggs (Pachaud) (Exchange)" <carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:24:07 -0800

I think this is an apples-and-oranges argument. Certain types of information
are best delivered via a book. Most conceptual information falls into this
category, as does most of what I'd consider planning info. Task-based
information on the other hand (the how-do-I-do-x stuff) is most
appropriately delivered online. It's easily searchable by a variety of
means, can be linked directly to the interface, etc. It can also be printed,
for those who really insist! My point is that to limit the delivery of
information to your user to one or the other seems short-sighted. It makes
much more sense to ask hard questions about how a particular type of info
might be most effectively disseminated, then design a flexible help system
that includes print, online, web-based updates, etc.

Caroline

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=