Re: USER Guides

Subject: Re: USER Guides
From: Bruce Boyer <bboyer -at- OBJECTSHARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:19:35 -0800

>It is simple..... The average customer wants a book. This has been proven
>time and time again. People much prefer the printed newspaper to the
>on-line versions. People expect to get a book, it has been this way for
>many years. So provide documents.

The counter argument is obvious. Books are expensive, and add greatly
to the cost of goods. A software provider has to determine what
the product includes, and it may or may not include documentation as
extensive as "the customer wants." The customer also wants cheaper
product.

>Say... MS has cut back on other User Guides, while Microsoft Press has
>started selling more and more books. Is this connected in some way?

Obviously. A software vendor does have a responsibility to provide
sufficient information to effectively use their product. It is not
obligated
to do so for free, nor to make all bundles include maximal documenation.
We really have no grounds to complain that MS has recognized that
information, as well as software, is a chargable product.

Bruce

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=