Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: John Lance <jlance -at- LIGHTBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:54:05 -0400

I know that when viewing a PDF in Acrobat Reader you can add notes (little
mini windows that allow you to enter free text). I don't use them often,
however I do know they are there. There are two little hitches 1) The PDF
needs to have a level of security that allows notes to be added. 2) You are
assuming that users know of this feature - not a safe presumption in my
mind. So then you are stuck with that old dilemma: do you document the
third party software (in this case, how to add notes in Adobe Reader) and
pray there are no major variations between the end users' version and mine,
or do you go with the old "For more information on adding notes in Adobe
Reader, see the Adobe Reader User's Guide." line. I've never really liked
either of these options.

- John

>>> As a user, I just need a book. I have to make notes all over the pages
and cover. I
SNIP
So why can't I mess up and mark up the on-line documentation so it leaves
the "landmarks" I so desperately need?

I'm getting around on-line documentation easier all the time and see big
advantages but, as it's configured now, it's not as good as a book (for
some programs).

In an attempt to help,

Randy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=