Re: Results: PC vs Mac

Subject: Re: Results: PC vs Mac
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 02:23:27 -0800

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:20:20 +0000, Bruce Conway wrote:

>More software? You'll have to look at the studies. In 1993, for
>example, there were twice as many Mac software titles as for Windows (in
>all categories? overall? not sure....). I've heard this argument many
>times. I've also seen the quality of PC software versus Mac software.

Available software has long been used by Windows fudsters in Windows vs.
OS/2 debates as well. Yeah, there's a lot more software out there for
Windows... it's also highly redundant. A dozen variations on the WinZip
principle fails to impress me. Utilities to make Windows do things OS/2
does out of the box are equally unimpressive.

>Another interesting fact: There are about 5,000 known viruses on the
>PC. Only about 50 on the Mac.

And only two known for OS/2, both existing mainly in the laboratory
environment and neither particularly harmful. "Look at all the great
virus scanners I can get for Windows!" Important only because viruses are
a concern. An ounce of immunity is worth several megabytes of cure...

As always, the disadvantage to using the "popular" software is that it's
just as popular with the ne'er-do-wells. What other word processors than
Winword have to worry about macro viruses? What other systems engender
hackers to spend copious amounts of time finding ways to hack, crack and
crash them? Forget the fact that they don't have nearly the security
holes to begin with, but why would anyone bother busting Mac and OS/2
systems? Nobody uses them; there's no fun in that :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

So I bought OS/2 Warp.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=