Re: Style Guides, Take II

Subject: Re: Style Guides, Take II
From: Sharon Burton-Hardin <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 08:56:55 -0800

It is indeed much easier than writing your own. Getting consensus about the
kind of coffee in the pot is difficult. Getting everyone to agree on what to
call a menu is, well impossible.

Of course I don't advocate using the MS standard where it clearly is not
appropriate. But I do think that it is appropriate in more places that you
think. Another tool in my bag. And when a client does not have a style guide
and all writers are writing what they want and how they want it, it is not a
bad one to start with.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!
See www.sharonburton.com!

And then, like, Robyn M. Nace went:
>Ah! But the problem is, MS uses Windows 95 terminology to talk about
>everything. They redefined "industry" style with the release of 95. So,
>a lot of the terms that MS uses don't make sense for other operating
>systems. I've written two Style Guides, and I've used portions of the MS
>Manual of Style as a basis, but none of their terminology or actions.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=