Re: Numbers

Subject: Re: Numbers
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:45:32 -0500

Jason...funny...I asked the same thing privately; I just forgot to include the
list in the address. Basicly, I said that I think we've reached a knee-jerk
situation where, without knowing why, Active is good, Passive is bad. They both
have their place.

Besides...was my statement really passive and was his version really active?

If I written "Page 2 will be displayed when you press the OK button"...I'd
volunteer that this is passive...no? However, just with the inclusion of the
word(s) "when" or "will be" does not automatically make my version passive, or
does it?

I just try to do two things when I write.

1) Use "Displayed" rather than "Appears" since nothing in our field just
"appears". Magicians make rabbits appear. Information is displayed. In fact,
monitors used to be called VDTs (Video DISPLAY Terminals)

2) Show the action, then show the results.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=