Re: RoboHelp 7.0

Subject: Re: RoboHelp 7.0
From: David Knopf <david -at- KNOPF -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:31:08 -0800

David Thompson asked:

| Has anyone got experience of designing On line help systems for non
| Microsoft machines using RoboHelp?
| When I create a Help file it runs fine on NT machines. However, I want to
| run the same Help file on Silicon Graphics machines(SGI's), which use a
| different OS. Any ideas on what I have to do? Include seperate
| .dll's etc..?

The WinHelp format (*.HLP) is Windows-specific. There are, however, several
ways you can deploy WinHelp on SGI:

- You can license HyperHelp from Bristol Technology. HyperHelp is a porting
tool that lets you distribute standard WinHelp systems on various UNIX
platforms. It's pricey, but it works. See http://www.bristol.com for more
info.

- You can convert your WinHelp system to WebHelp, an HTML-based format
developed by Blue Sky that lets you deliver online help in HTML format for
multiple platforms and multiple browsers. You can create WebHelp using
RoboHELP 7. See RoboHELP's online help for more information.

- You can convert your WinHelp system to plain HTML, which also runs across
browsers and on multiple platforms. You can generate plain HTML from
RoboHELP 7, as well. Note that plain HTML won't give you a traditional TOC
or Index.

| I don't mean HTML help which is by default, cross platform.

Actually, this is not true. HTML Help is a Microsoft technology that
currently runs only on 32-bit Windows. You will not, for now at least, be
able to deploy HTML Help on SGI.

I hope this helps ...

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-820-2356
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Writing * WinHelp * Web Sites * Training * Consulting
RoboHELP Certified Trainer * RoboHELP Certified Consultant

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=