Re: Satisfaction (was ... Re: The value of technical writers)

Subject: Re: Satisfaction (was ... Re: The value of technical writers)
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:45:36 -0800

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:33:10 -0700, Eric J. Ray wrote:

>No, not all of the projects I've been on have been like
>this, but this isn't terribly uncommon, and it's certainly
>quite possible to walk into a tech writing position and
>have/earn/not screw up a solid working relationship
>with most people.

Y'know, one thought just occured to me... I recently fixed up a friend's
PC, an old 486 machine, with an EXTREMELY well-written manual, clearly
documenting not only every slot, socket and jumper, but also with a brief
description of all the options in the BIOS. Anyone who's dealt with
motherboard manuals before will realize how rare a treasure this one is.
Most I've come across are about six pages long and very poorly translated
from one Far-Eastern language or another.

The next time I hear a "glorified secretary" comment, methinks I'll just
pull out this manual along with one of the many worst-of-breed ones in my
files, and illustrate the difference a good technical writer can make.

I'm sure most of us could easily find similarly contrasting examples of
good vs. truly rotten documentation for our specific fields...

Your friend and mine,
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

It is impossible to rightly govern the world
without God and the Bible.
- George Washington

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=