Re: Satisfaction (was ... Re: The value of technical writers)

Subject: Re: Satisfaction (was ... Re: The value of technical writers)
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:20:39 -0500

I like Eric's idea of pointing out the positive stories in our profession,
rather than dwelling on the negatives, so here's my positive story:

I work at a company that values our opinions, makes us writers part of the
development team as much as possible, and where I learn new things every
day. I feel (for the most part), that our work is taken seriously, and even
appreciated a lot of the time, and we writers are encouraged to develop our
diverse skills and to follow our interests.

FarPoint Technologies is a small software company. We develop controls for
interface designers who create application interfaces in Visual Basic, C++,
and C. I don't know C++ and C, and I had never used VB until I came here
(can't say that I *know* it now, but after 4-1/2 years, I'm getting pretty
cozy with the basics of it).

We writers feel that we are learning new things and challenged by new things
all the time. There's always more to learn about our customers and their
needs, about programming and programming tools, and yes, about our tools
(they do come out with new versions, and there are better ways to use
them--you'd expect a carpenter to learn to use a new saw, so we must learn
our new tools). Then there's developing our writing skills (there IS more to
writing than knowing the little rules about on-line vs. online--for that,
use a style guide). Working on my writing skills (not to mention editing
skills) could be a lifetime's work, considering the many excellent examples
of technical writing I run into all the time. Then there are our products:
we could keep learning about those for years!

Just as in any profession, there will be people who are only adequate at
their job, who don't enjoy the work, and who are just in the wrong place.
But for those of us who feel that at least for now, we've landed in the
right place, it's nice to feel proud of our accomplishments. I know I look
back over the 6+ years I've been a tech writer and feel that I have come so
far, but there is always more to learn. I'm glad I'm in this field, and I
hope that if at some point I feel it isn't right for me, I'll have the
wisdom and the opportunity to move on to something else.

There are great places to work out there--sometimes you have to work to find
them, and sometimes fate brings you to the right one. But the bottom line is
that there has to be a common feeling of teamwork and support for good
documentation (from management, the developers, tech support, QA, . . . ) to
provide a great working environment (IMHO). I'm lucky to work with a team of
great people--we respect each other's work and our many talents. I can't
program, but I can write. I can't test a product thoroughly, but I can truly
appreciate someone with the patience to do that (who also checks the docs
while testing!). I certainly couldn't be as patient as our tech support
staff who answer so many questions a day, but I can be really glad that they
do it (well!), and I don't.

I hope all of you out there get to work in such an environment someday. It's
stimulating and rewarding--oh, and we get paid pretty decently, too.

Thanks for asking for positive stories, Eric, and for sharing yours. I'm
eager to see more. Happy New Year, everyone! : )

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.