HTML Info - Summary

Subject: HTML Info - Summary
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:33:35 -0500

Sorry, Michelle... I don't recall seeing your original message. (And I
notice that your original message included below was posted to the TechWr-L
list, not the WinHlp-L list!)

At any rate, I use HomeSite to author the html files, and then bring them
into my HTML Help project using RoboHelp HTML Edition. I've been using html
tags for quite a while now, so I find it's easier to *not* use RoboHelp
to create the html pages. HomeSite creates relatively "clean" code. You can
download a trial version at if you are interested.

I use HelpMagic 4.5 with which you can create a HLP file, a HTM file or a
.CHM file all from the same source code. A few switches have to be set and
that is all. Works very well for me.

I am not a robohelp user and so I do not know anything about the
internal methods of robohelp. I write my own style sheets. Sheet
Stylist is maybe the best CSS editor available. Its on my site. It is
a good idea to start with an existing style sheet and modify it step
by step.

Hi Michelle

Start off by reading Steve Wexler's "Official
Microsoft HTML Help Authoring Kit". Published by MS Press.

Our help authors work in MS Frontpage. We are very
happy with it. We convert the frontpage webs into CHM
using our free application called FAR. Check it out at

It's freeware available at
I like it a lot. It's not as fancy as some but it does the trick.

If you are talking about straight HTML editors, I think you would find that
many people on this list use the following:

Homesite - Allaire -
DreamWeaver - Macromedia -
Frontpage - Microsoft -

There are many others, including the favorite of many, Notepad.exe.

If you actually mean HTML Help, in addition to RoboHTML, we are using:

Doc-to-Help 4 Pro -
ForeHelp 3.0 -
HDK 3.0 and WebLite -

and several others, including, of course, the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop

In addition to the "Official Microsoft HTML Help Authoring Kit" by Steve
Wexler (, there are
good books about HTML, DHTML, etc. from Microsoft Press, O'Reilly and
several other publishers.

Good sites to find out about these and other resources are:

Ben Weisner - Weisner Associates -
Cheryl Zuback - Work Write -
Mary Deaton - KNOWware -

Among many others.