Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 28 Dec 1998 to 29 Dec 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 28 Dec 1998 to 29 Dec 1998
From: Kathy Das Gupta <kdasgupt -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:35:26 -0500

<snip>I need a good definition of a technical writer...can you help me out?

A technical writer is a person who _________________________.

I'm writing a story about technical writers and I don't want to leave out
any aspects of the technical writer.</snip>

Well, this is a REALLY big topic. Every job I have had has defined tech
writer differently - and my experience is software related only. Sometimes
the medium is on-line, sometimes it is hard copy. Sometimes the format is
Help, and sometimes it is a manual. There has even been a little training
material and some marketing pieces thrown into the mix. However, I have
always felt that my mandate, my purpose, is to translate and present
technical information in a manner that is readable and usable by the
defined audience, and the audience always varies. There are a lot of
variables there. I think that is why our profession requires us to be
experts in some segment of tech writing, but flexible and current enough to
adapt our skills to new situations.

Kathy Das Gupta
Tech Writing Consultant
Bellcore