FW: Printable Web Manuals

Subject: FW: Printable Web Manuals
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:51:44 -0800

> * Antwort auf eine Nachricht von susan_healey -at- BC -dot- SYMPATICO -dot- CA an All am
> 21.12.9
>
> ss> My client currently produces 4 separate, but similar, procedure
> ss> manuals for
> ss> 4 user groups. The material requires constant individualized
> ss> updates. This
> ss> is both costly and inefficient.

I missed the original post on this, so I hope I've got this right. I'd think
this would be an excellent use of Adobe FrameMaker's conditional text and
Quadralay WebWorks conversion utilities.

We use Quadralay to convert FrameMaker to HTML. The HTML is adequate, not
certainly not elegant. We also use Adobe Acrobat to produce printable PDF
from the same source. The output is excellent for printing and OK for online
viewing.

I have not personally used the conditional text aspect of FrameMaker, but we
have a group here who plans to do something similar to what you're doing.
They have something like four separate but similar manuals (which are
currently and painfully maintained separately). FrameMaker costs in the
US$400 range, WebWorks in the US$200 range, and Acrobat in some range I
don't know (we already had it).

C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Opinions expressed are mine alone
Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=