ISO 9000 versioning terminology

Subject: ISO 9000 versioning terminology
From: Matthew DONOVAN <MDONOVAN -at- KEYMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:41:18 +0100

Hello Listers

Can anyone answer the following questions I have on ISO 9000
terminology.
I need to implement certain ISO 9000 terms in a software application and
do not know the exact terms.

1.
I am working on the versioning function allowing users to create new
versions of documents.
What is the term used to describe how version "labels" are handled ?

Example:
I have defined a version template where all version numbers are of the
format x.y.z where x, y and z are digits.
How do I refer to the way in which these digitsnincrement (i.e. from 1.1
to 1.2, or from 1.1 to 1.1.1) ?
What is this called ?
Here are a few ideas:
Versioning Strategy
Versioning Plan

2.
Linked to the version strategy, how do I refer to the fact that new
version numbering increases horizontally (1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc),
vertically (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.) or both ?

3.
How do I refer to version labels. I cannot talk about version numbering
because letters can be included.

Hoping you have the time to answer these questions,
Thanking you in advance,

Matt Donovan
User Education Manager
KEYMAGE