new title: Information Developer

Subject: new title: Information Developer
From: Chris Seraidaris <seraidarisc -at- VIEWSONIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:20:39 -0800

Several years ago the HR Department of my company (erroneously) defined the tittle "technical writer" as non-exempt. Recently, management has granted us the opportunity to telecommute, along with other improved working conditions, all which necessitate an exempt status. To be exempt, however, we have been told that legally we must have a new title that does not include the term "writer" (since our firm has previously defined "technical writer" as non-exempt).

This is fortuitous in that we hope to expand our current role of writing user guides, to include developing online help, tutorials, CBT, WBT, etc. After a considerable amount of research, "Information Developer" is the best title we have found.

To illustrate that the title is already in use, see the job ad we recently found on the Internet (shown below).

Is there a risk of jeopardizing our future marketability to companies whose HR departments may only have job openings for a "technical writers"? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Chris Seraidaris

Job Title: Information Developer

Qualifications
BA or BS in English, Technical Writing or equivalent experience
Position requires strong interpersonal skills to interact with project
managers, members of technical staff, and to collaborate with members of
the Information Development staff.
Must be able to manage multiple products, meet deadlines with limited
supervision, and be a team player
Proficiency with FrameMaker, RoboHELP, Word a must
Knowledge of PhotoShop, Acrobat, HTML helpful

Job Description
Design and develop software documentation, including user guides,
technical specifications, and training materials for both commercial and
consumer products.
Develop online help and online tutorials.
Research product functionality, assess the needs of the audience, and
extract information from subject matter experts and existing documentation
Help develop and maintain documentation style guides and procedures for
internal use.
Edit and proofread company documents for grammar, style, and consistency
Aid in product design and QA testing
Work as part of the Engineering Team

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000