Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 6 Jan 1999 to 7 Jan 1999

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 6 Jan 1999 to 7 Jan 1999
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:27:28 -0600

Lesley,
Strings for Help topics can begin with any letter or set of letters. The
convention in Windows is to create the Help topic string by adding an H to
dialog box strings. Thus IDD_DialogBox becomes HIDD_DialogBox or
IDC_NameField becomes HIDC_NameField) and use IDH_as the prefix for those
help topics that are not context sensitive (IDH_GLOS_NEWTERM).

If by not working, you mean that pressing F1 at the System Format dialog box
does nothing or generates a 'topic not found' message, you probably have not
correctly established the connnection between the code and the WinHelp
engine:
WinHelp and code use numbers only. Each element in a dialog box, including
the box itself, is assigned an ID number when the box is developed. When you
create your Help DOC file, you assign a topic string that you can recognize
in the # footnote (# HIDD_DialogBox) The connection between the number that
is passed to WinHelp and the string that you assigned is made in the [Map]
section of the project HPJ file. Each topic string for each
context-sensitive topic must be equated to the correct code ID number. You
can make the connection directly by just typing it in: HIDD_DialogBox
12345. Or, you can map a header file full of these lines in the [Map]
section: #include <H:\DEV\HELP\HEADERS\ADM.HM>
Either way you do it, recompile the Help and try it again.

BTW, this query may be a little off the beaten path for TechWriters List. If
you have more questions about getting your Help running though, feel free to
e-mail me directly at barb -dot- hyde -at- ndcorp -dot- com -dot-

Barb Hyde

>Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:44:21 -0000
>From: Lesley-Anne Nelson <Moshe -at- MERIDIANNI -dot- CO -dot- UK>
>Subject: IDH Help Query

>Quick query I have been reading up a little about this help for Dialog
Boxes. I have come across IDH_ that >apparently has to be used as the first
four characters of a Topic. At the minute within my Help file I have the
>topic set as IDD_SYSTEM_FORMAT. This doesn't work for me so I am assuming
that i have to do something >with the IDH_ Beginning. Do I add this to the
front of my topic or do I substitute IDD for IDH. I am not quite sure >what
the reasoning is for this but I do know I am really stuck. Does someone
have any idea what I'm going on >about. I would appreciate any help.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=