Re: Hotkeys

Subject: Re: Hotkeys
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:53:55 -0800

I would never underline it. Underlines add clutter, and I don't think
there's a clear connection between an underlined letter and a shortcut. If
that connection is not made, things look especially weird for menus where
the third or fourth letter is underlined, for example, the m in Compose.
Finally, the underscores are extremely visible on the screen. No need to
repeat them in the documentation.

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com
> I just wanted to ask: when documentating software applications,
> and you write something like:
>
> From the File menu, choose Save to...
>
> If, in your application, the File menu has a hotkey associated with
> it (as in ALT+F to open the File menu), in your documentation would
> you underline the F in the word File? or just write the word File, as
> usual?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=