Re: The mushroom syndrome

Subject: Re: The mushroom syndrome
From: Donna Horowitz <horowit -at- EN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:41:56 -0500

>Jeroen Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Thought I'd share this with you lot, a token managers sometimes do
>> recognize your situation and do appreciate your concerns. History: I was
>> finishing a user's manual, everything went smooth, deadline was next day
>> and the spell checking was the only major task left. And then it happened:
>> the developers dropped a new build of the software on my desk and surprise
>> surprise: new functionality!

---snip--------

The mushroom syndrome, eh? I like it.

Is there any other way to work? Seems to be the management style of choice
here. I know I'm not home free until the manual is actually
published--whoa, even then--what am I thinking--I've had them say, oh, that
part right there, it's wrong--we changed the software--oh, I guess we
didn't tell you . . .

Of all the jobs I've had, this one more than most requires the mating of
perfectionism and flexibility, seemingly opposite ends of the scale. You
definitely have to learn when to kick into one or the other mode.

Dream and explore the places
your soul must visit,
the infinite voyage within.

Donna M. Horowitz