Re: getting contractors up to speed

Subject: Re: getting contractors up to speed
From: David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:00:35 -0500

Miki said:

>If you're a contractor - what kinds of information would be helpful? If =
>you hire contractors, what information do you provide, and how well does =
>it work? I suppose the flip side (any other 'age-enhanced' people remember
=
>where that phrase came from?) is to add what kinds of things get in the =
>way of contractors doing a good job.

Excellent questions! I've been a contractor for years and hire other
contractors, so I'll give it a shot.

* I always get frustrated trying to get started with local company
protocols.
Whom do I see about getting a badge? What papers need to be filled out?
Give me a copy of the org. chart so I know who's who. Who are the
developers I'll be working with (a complete contact list would be nice).
What company policies apply to me as a contractor? What am I
expected to participate in and what should I stay away from?

* Network stuff. Where are files archived and how often? How do I get access
to a printer? Where's the fax machine? How do I get a phone hooked up
and working?

* How does the product I'm documenting fit in with the rest of the company's
products? Who uses the product? Who is my primary audience?

* In some cases it would be nice to know about rentals available in the area
and what kind of recreation. If I'm coming to a new state, I need to know
about taxes and cost-of-living (real stuff, not the fluff you usually
get). Where
can I get a decent meal?

I am interested to see the results.

Dave.

David B. Demyan dbd -at- mendem -dot- com
Mendem Concord, Inc. http://www.mendem.com
Warren, New Jersey 888-753-8500

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=