Re: Style/Layout for Manuals

Subject: Re: Style/Layout for Manuals
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- MAINSAVER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:44:07 -0800

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE4459.6FDEE7D0

You'll notice it says you did something very few people do. That is,
most other people find an info mapping layout improves their ability to
find and process information. The amount of white space, the separating
out, the captions, all contribute to this. Chunking the information and
lots of tables and lists do too.

If the format made no difference to you, that's terrific. But most of
your readers will probably find it easier to get what they need quickly
when it's not buried big, dense paragraphs (like the user manual I just
finished re-writing, and reformatting! eeesh.)

And that, in my opinion, is what's so great about Information Mapping. I
also use a 2-column table in Word: 1.9" and 3.99 (with a .5" gutter and
a comfortable outside margin for two-sided printing).

On the other hand, I wouldn't spend all that money on the seminar! I
was given this format to use many many assignments ago, by someone who
HAD gone for the formal training. It's so sensible, and so in line with
everything I know about good technical writing, I use it for almost
everything. (The revised-reformatted manual has been very well
received, incidentally.)

Maggie Secara

John Posada wrote:

> Hi, guys...
>
> I checked out their site and they have a little test to show how
> effective information mapping is. I took the test...following is a
> piece of the results:
>
> --------------
>
> Congratulations!
>
> You did something that few people do... You found the requested
> information in the typical document as fast or slightly faster
> than in the "Mapped" document.
>
> --------------
>
> So...what's so great about Information Mapping? :-)

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE4459.6FDEE7D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1457.3">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>You'll notice it says you did =
something very few people do. That is, most other people find an info =
mapping layout improves their ability to find and process information. =
The amount of white space, the separating out, the captions, all =
contribute to this. Chunking the information and lots of tables and =
lists do too. </FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>If the format made no difference to =
you, that's terrific. But most of your readers will probably find it =
easier to get what they need quickly when it's not buried big, dense =
paragraphs (like the user manual I just finished re-writing, and =
reformatting! eeesh.)</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>And that, in my opinion, is what's =
so great about Information Mapping. I also use a 2-column table in =
Word: 1.9&quot; and 3.99 (with a .5&quot; gutter and a comfortable =
outside margin for two-sided printing).&nbsp;</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>On the other hand, I wouldn't spend =
all that money on the seminar!&nbsp; I was given this format to use =
many many assignments ago, by someone who HAD gone for the formal =
training. It's so sensible, and so in line with everything I know about =
good technical writing, I use it for almost everything.&nbsp; (The =
revised-reformatted manual has been very well received, =
incidentally.)</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Maggie Secara</FONT>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Tahoma">John Posada wrote:</FONT>
<BR>
<BR>
<UL><P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi, =
guys...</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I checked out their =
site and they have a little test to show how effective information =
mapping is.&nbsp; I took the test...following is a piece of the =
results:</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">--------------</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Congratulations!</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
You did something that few people do... You found the requested =
information in the typical document as fast or slightly =
faster</FONT></P>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
than in the &quot;Mapped&quot; document.</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">--------------</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">So...what's so =
great about Information Mapping? :-)</FONT>
<BR>
<BR>
</P>
</UL>