Re: Contractions & Style

Subject: Re: Contractions & Style
From: Samuel Choy <v2cdisrc -at- US -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:13:19 -0600

<snip>I'm seriously thinking about "lightening" my style, but want to hear
some other opinions before I propose this to my manager. I don't want to
go as light as the "Dummy" books, but somewhere in between would be nice.

IMHO no matter how informal I want to get, I would not use contractions in
material that I publish. Why? Personal preference. I think that they're a
little too informal for professional writing. I can use things like active
voice, minimalism and clean sentences to avoid sounding too much like a
stuffed shirt.

However, I do not know your audience, or the image your company is trying
to project. The choice is yours, but I'd avoid contractions.

Samuel Choy
User Technologies
Tie-line 8-553-5654
Ext. phone (507) 253-5654