Contractions & Style

Subject: Contractions & Style
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:25:14 -0500

I've been doing a lot of self-training lately and have noticed that my
style of writing is fairly formal compared to many reference guides I'm
reading these days: they seem to be more conversational. One thing I have
specifically noticed is the use of contractions. My Handbook of Technical
Writing says the following, "Contractions are often used in speech but
should be used in discriminatingly in reports, formal letters, and most
technical writers. (See also style.) " As a rule, I do not use
contractions in my guides, or online help.

I realize that this topic is indefinitive, as it depends on your audience,
but I wondered how most of you would classify your writing style. I should
specify that I write reference guides and author online help/html help for
a risk management company. I'm seriously thinking about "lightening" my
style, but want to hear some other opinions before I propose this to my
manager. I don't want to go as light as the "Dummy" books, but somewhere
in between would be nice. Fortunately, she is very open to change.

I look forward to your responses. As always, no flaming necessary.

Thanks,
Michelle

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=