HTML & Browsers

Subject: HTML & Browsers
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:19:39 -0500

I'm really in need of help. I want to do my next help project in HTML,
using RoboHTML, but need to get a few things sorted out first. After
reading a few books and several articles I'm still confused about one
thing. How should I distribute the HTML files once they are complete?
I've read that they can be distributed over the internet, intranet, or
CD-ROM. For corporate security reasons, many of our clients may not even
have access to the internet, or be interested in finding out if they have
access to the internet. As I understand it, one of the essential
components they will all need to launch the help files is a browser.
Since I'm not certain which browser many of my clients use it is probably a
good idea to make the help files cross-platform (Webhelp), right? I
suppose we could include IE 4.x as part of our install, but I don't think
our clients would be thrilled about this if they use a different browser
for the internet.

How do most of you distribute your HTML/Webhelp? Are many of your clients
savvy on the internet? Please explain why you use one or the other, or
both. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle
Confused, baffled, and HTML wanna-be Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=