Re: Excel not the right tool?

Subject: Re: Excel not the right tool?
From: "Townsend, Emru" <etownsend -at- POSITRON -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:31:12 -0500

Generally, I agree with this sentiment. I have a horror story about a
publisher who used Excel to write up advertising rate information
because he couldn't figure out how to use Word's columns feature.
(Don't worry, I won't relate it here. But I did use the anecdote to
scare my students into making sure they used the right tools for the
right job.)

That said, there are times when the perfect tool is simply not an
option. I once created a database much like the original poster
requested, using Excel. Why not use Access? I was strapped for disk
space, and had no budget to upgrade for quite a while. Excel has some
database functions, and by its very nature organizes information in
tables. It was a good second choice, and it had the option to export to
Access when that disk space became available.

Sometimes you *have* to warp the tool, and in those cases it's best to
know which tools will require the least amount of warping.

Emru Townsend
Technical Communications Wiseguy - Product Integration
Positron Public Safety Systems Inc.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
e-mail: etownsend -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
My words are my own. Confuse them with my employer's at your own risk.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=