Re: eps: mac illustrator to pc word 6

Subject: Re: eps: mac illustrator to pc word 6
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:57:19 -0500

On 1/25/99 7:05 AM, Donna Horowitz (horowit -at- EN -dot- COM) wrote:

>Interestingly, we import it into a Word doc on the Mac and print, and
>viola, it's fine. It's something about that transfer.

Wow, a light-bulb suddenly went on over my head when I read the words
"It's something about that transfer."

You may already know that Mac files have two "forks," a resource fork and
a data fork. On the Mac, these appear as a single file, but when you send
them over to Windows, UNIX, or other platforms they either get split into
two or one fork gets stripped away.

With Mac-compatible EPS files, the preview is stored in the resource
fork. If you transferred the file to a Windows box, either the data fork
(the EPS data) or the resource fork (the low-res preview) would get lost.
The file would still import into Word, but either the preview would be
missing (and you'd see a gray box on screen) or the EPS data would be
missing (and only the low-res version of the picture would print).

I think what's happening is that when you transfer the file (and you
don't say how that's being done), the EPS data is being stripped away,
and you're only importing and printing the low-res preview. (This is
strange... usually when a fork is lost, it's the resource fork. Are you
being given a choice of one or the other when moving the files?)

You should be able to solve this by creating the EPS files from
Illustrator *only* in PC format. This should save all of the relevant
information into the data fork, and then making sure that you download
the data fork to the Windows box (if you're given a choice). The
resulting file should work well for viewing and printing.

Hope this helps... it makes sense to me now. Of course, whether I've
gotten that out in words is always up for debate...

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=