Re: Most readable line lengths?

Subject: Re: Most readable line lengths?
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:20:53 -0500

Geoff Hart wrote:

>Second pointer: The rule of thumb for line lengths is usually that a
line should be between two and three "alphabets" long; 2.5 times works
well for me in most cases. That is, type a...z twice, measure the
length, then add 50%.<

The 2-to-3 alphabets rule has worked very well for me, too. Whenver I
design a book's interior, this is a primary rule I apply. Like Geoff,
2.5 alphabets is my usual target.

But I'm not sure this calculation formula is quite accurate. If you add
50% to the twice-alphabet measurement, you actually get a
thrice-alphabet measurement. You need to add 25% to the twice-alphabet
measurement to get the 2.5-alphabet measurement.

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=