Re: Employers' Mistaken Job Requirements

Subject: Re: Employers' Mistaken Job Requirements
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:54:55 +0100

Elizabeth asked:

> How can we convince employers who are looking to hire a tech writer that
> their primary concern should not be with the software programs a tech
> writer has experience using? that a technical writer is not, primarily,
> a typist?

What makes a good writer a good writer? Not the tools he/she wrote the
contents with. No-one on the face of this earth would suggest that
Hemmingway was such a good writer because he typed his novels on a
Remmington or whatever. That would be absurd. That's just as ridiculous as
saying that someone is a good carpenter because he uses the proper hammer
or chisel, neither was van Gogh a good Painter because he used a particular
brush. Same applies to technical writing: Word or Framemaker are just tools
that one can use to convey his or her message. The information that the
writer jots down, the contents, doesn't get better because it is written
with Frame instead of Word. Frame isn't a wonder machine that enhances the
quality of what you write. The brain, the grey cells, have to do the real
work.

So it's not the tool that makes the writer, the skills do! And with skills
I mean: knowing how to write, how to get your message across. Knowing how
to create the contents so that the intended reader gets what he needs. This
is far more difficult. Some people can, others can't and will never be able
to produce high quality contents. Knowledge about language, writing
techniques, cognitive psychology, communication theories and yes grammar
helps, and is necessary in our field and far more important than knowledge
of tools.

Same goes for the subject, and here have to disagree somewhat with the
distinguished Mr. Plato. Everybody can learn what a router does, how a
database is set up. These are tools too. What's important is knowing how to
explain complex matter in an effective and clear way, if you aren't able to
do that, you will not be able to transfer your precious knowledge. That's
why you don't want programmers to write manuals, they know all there is to
know about the subject, but can they explain it to their aunt in
Slumberville?

True tools are important, they help you to communicate more efficiently,
and it is handy to know how to use them properly. True, knowledge about
your subject is mandatory, but the writing skills make the writer. That's
the prime requirement, knowledge of tools and subject are extras, whipped
cream on top of the birthday cake.

My two eurocents,

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc