Re: How to Make a Powerpoint Manual?

Subject: Re: How to Make a Powerpoint Manual?
From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:54:21 -0500

Actually the timing of this message is relevant to me. Yesterday my manager
showed me his training manual from some Informix class he took. It was set
up like this. The instructor spoke to a powerpoint slide that was displayed
on an overhead. The training manual that each student had included the same
slide as was displayed on the screen on the top portion of the page while
containing about a half of a page of text on the lower portion of the page.
I sincerely believe that the informix manual was not created in PP - it was
about 500 pages long, fully indexed with an index, ,glossary, and
appendices - so FM maybe? But of course my manager thought this manual was
created in PP, and could we complete our project that way? I shot back
...well can you index and create styles with PP? to which the unanimous
conclusion was no, and we'd need to figure out a work around (!!!!).
My guess is whatever program was used to create the manual, the PP slides
were just pasted on the top of the manual page. That said, my suggestion
would be to use another program (FM, Word, etc...) for your manual and
paste the bulleted screens somewhere on the page (unless your manual will
be ~10 pages). I think there's also an option in PP to print their slides
to the top part of a page and leave the lower portion of the page blank. If
someone suggests that, remember that you still don't have nearly the same
control over content and styles that you do with a regular documentation
program.

hth

Gil Yaker
gyaker -at- csc -dot- com