Re: Best way to indent in HTML

Subject: Re: Best way to indent in HTML
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:38:48 -0800

Scott asked:
>> I want to indent text between headings in HTML, like this:

>><snip examples using <BLOCKQUOTE> and <UL> with <P>
>> Which is best? Any dangers to either method?

that on some antique, text-based browsers the paragraph may only look like
an e-mail quote -- you know, with greater-than signs at the left.

You could put the paragraph in a table and use either cell padding or
an empty cell on the left, but tables were new in HTML 3.0, so if you're
dealing with antique browsers, they wouldn't work any better than the
blockquote tag would -- and blockquote is a heck of a lot easier than
constructing a table.

Ed suggested using a definition list -- definition list tags are old
stuff and should work in most browsers the way you want them to, but
if you really want the left-aligned paragraph to look like a heading,
you'll have to do all the font-change stuff manually.

Lastly, I don't think there are any repercussions from creating an
unordered list without any list items. Worst-case scenario is that
some renegade browser will throw a bullet in front of the text.
(famous last words!)

HTH

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=