Question about tools of the trade

Subject: Question about tools of the trade
From: Kim Nylander <nylanderk -at- IPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:30:05 -0500

I've been hearing a lot about Frame Maker as an authoring tool. I've
been using Ventura Publisher here, and have enjoyed working with it.
Like any product, it also has quirks.

I was curious if anyone else uses Ventura, and how they have used it to
manage their documents. I'm on a staff of one, and I'm learning about
change management for user manuals. Many of the manuals are becoming
modular--where certain chapters appear in every manual, with slight
modifications.

I guess I have two questions:

How do you set up a version control/management system for a technical
writing department of one? Even though we'll be adding another technical
writer at some point, I'll need a system in place just to keep up with
the manuals ASAP.

How do you use Ventura or Framemaker (or whatever your choice product is)
to accomplish this?

Thank you for any input you might have.

Regards,

Kim Nylander