Re: MS Word question

Subject: Re: MS Word question
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:52:08 -0800

At 03:20 PM 1/29/99 -0800, Todd Sieling wrote:
>Hi, all
>Bob, I'm glad you asked this question. Before everyone leaps to answer, can
>I suggest that respondents include the computing environment in which each
>learned the ropes of writing and/or desktop publishing? (Specifically, Mac
>or PC, or others that apply). I think this could add an interesting shade to
>the familiar collage and collision of opinions regarding these two apps.
>Thanks
>Todd Sieling

Computing environment in which I learned the ropes: WordStar on a Kaypro
running CP/M. (Does that date me or what?) After that, Lex on a C.Itoh
machine running Regulus. Followed by FrameMaker 1.0 on a Sun 250 from 1987
until 1989. Then, Word for DOS, followed by Word for Windows. All my
assignments as a consultant - and now my full-time employer - have required
Word since 1990. I loved FrameMaker 1.0, when it was made by Frame
Technologies, and detest the Windows version of Frame because it completely
ignores Windows conventions that most other Windows software has, notably
the online Help, what it contains and how it is structured.

I'd venture to say that people who hate Word have had problems with it.
Word '97 is so buggy that there have been many days when I wanted to jump
on a plane to Redmond and smack Mr. Gates upside the head. But I guess
I've mastered it.

Not sure that any of this really addresses the issue, though.

==========================
Obligatory quote:

"Live for today. Work like you don't need money; love like you've never
been hurt; dance like nobody's watching."

--- Christine Comaford, Managing Director of Artemis Ventures,
upon receiving her award as one of the Top 25 Women of the Web

Linda Castellani
Technical Writer
GRIC Communications, Inc.
1421 McCarthy Blvd.