Re: tools

Subject: Re: tools
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:12:31 -0800

replying from digest - forgive me if this thread has ended...

Tool knowledge is a nice-to-have, not a requirement. It should never
be a requirement. Knowledge and expertise in whatever it is the tool
aids in is the key. I'm pretty good with a hammer and saw, though I
would never call myself a carpenter nor would want anyone to hire me
to build a house for them.

Tools are tools, they are not the technology upon which anyone's
livelyhood stands. RoboHelp, HDK, Doc-to-Help, ForeHelp... they are
all tools allowing writers to work within a medium other than print.

What should the requirement be? Experience in WinHelp development, not
[place favorite HAT here]; experience in Web design, not [place
favorite HTML editor here]; and so on.

Anyone well-versed in the trade should be able to pick up a new tool
and use it proficiently within a reasonable amount of time.

===
Bill Swallow
bill_swallow -at- rocketmail -dot- com ~*~ http://surf.to/bill.swallow
TWS, f+, w, h+, ?+, lp, p(1), sc(N), si(Y), #(pound), ap-, ds-(impOK),
sty(home-grown, MMS), fs(Arial, Helvetica), fp(ITC Century, Times),
sp(American), re(2), pc(employee)

My report card always said, 'Jim finishes first and then disrupts
the other students.'
-- Jim Carrey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=