Re: How do you respond to job ads?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:05:33 -0800

At 10:34 AM 2/3/99 -0500, JGREY wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've been hiring writers lately...
>
>1. Most people aren't sending the requested work samples....
>
>2. People submitting credentials via e-mail typically skip writing a
>cover letter...
>
>3. Resumes I receive via e-mail usually look terrible...

Well, Jim...
First, as a senior writer, I haven't responded to a newspaper job
ad in lots of years, but thinking back to the days when I did,
your's is not an ad I'd have responded to -- or if I did, I'd
just throw a resume in the mail figuring it's worth the 50 cents
or so to take a chance that you're not as lame as the ad makes
you sound. Sorry, this is in no way meant to flame you. It's
just my honest reaction to seeing the type of ad you describe.

Samples? You want samples? Not on your life! My work stays with
me. How do I know you won't hire some rank newbie, hand them my
work, and say "copy this" -- hey, it happens! And I believe
that you, as a writer and hiring manager, should know better.
Would you really send writing samples to a complete stranger???
*Electronically* at that, so they can just cut & paste what they
like???? Jeez!

Secondly, I stopped sending cover letters years ago -- here's my
resume--see my skills!--if you like it give me a call. Arrogant?
I suppose. But I'm busy and so are you. My resume should tell
you just enough to make you ask questions, and that's what I'm
aiming for. (Actually, I don't even use an envelope. I print
my tri-fold rez on card stock, fold it, tape it closed, and
address the outside.)

I've never submitted a resume via email, either. I'll fax you
a copy, mail you a copy, or send you to my web site. How do I
know you're savvy enough to set the font size to 10 pts. before
you send a text file to the printer???

Salary history? No, I won't give you that up front, but if you
ask me in person or over the phone, I'll be open enough to tell
you -- but then, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford
me! ;-)

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=