Re: How do you respond to job ads?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads?
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:24:56 -0600

<snip>

> I would expect to see a resume and cover in PDF format, with embedded
> fonts.
> This would show me the person's creativity and ingenuity (information
> design
> and layout, and computer knowledge).
>
> A text-formatted resume tells me the candidate is not creative and does
> not
> know how to use present technology.
>

> Joe Mariconda

If the cover and resume are not in PDF format, then the candidate is not
creative and has no ingenuity. This is a joke, right !? I mean, I actually
did read this correctly, didn't I?

So as an applicant I must assume that A) you have Acrobat and B) your mail
service handles attachments (and handles them without corruption). I
thought the reason for a "plain, ol" text resume was that it was a compact,
non-compiled format readable and printable by any mail system. I think that
the candidate submitting the resume and cover letter in pure text shows
amazing sensitivity to multi-platforms and configurations ;^). I mean, text
can be read and printed on anything. How's that for innovation?

And as far as showing present technology, how about if I send you the resume
and cover letter in XML? or in HTMLHelp with web site links displayable
within the help viewer? or a Visual Basic executable with an embedded
browser OCX that invokes my web site? or set up a channel so that you can
peruse my work in progress? I mean, these technologies are more recent and
more powerful than PDF.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://maps.intergraph.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=