Re: Statements of Purpose and Technical Writing Graduate Studies

Subject: Re: Statements of Purpose and Technical Writing Graduate Studies
From: Elizabeth Vollbach <bethvollbach -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:43:51 -0800

Faith, you sound worried or, at least, overly anxious. Don't be. If you
got good grades as an undergraduate student, you're not going to have a
problem being accepted to grad school. If you're applying at the same
school where you were an undergrad, you'll have even less of a problem.
Because you're working in the field you want to study, you'll have even
less of a problem.

I just applied to a school for graduate study in tech writing about two
years ago. My gosh, for your SOP, just tell the truth. Why do you want
to go to grad school? Is it just because you love school so much? If
that's the only reason, I guess you should make something up. But if
it's more than that, just tell them.

As for the GRE, how long since you took the SAT or ASAT? It'll help if
it hasn't been more than a few years. Either way, though, you can just
go to the library or a bookstore and get a copy of a past GRE and
practice to remember the fastest way to do it. In my opinion, that test
isn't as much a test of your knowledge as it is a test of how well you
can take a test.

Different schools require different scores. Find out what score your
school requires so you can feel better after you take the GRE. I don't
know anyone who has taken the GRE who thought they did well. It always
feels like you did worse than you did.

Just remember, that school WANTS you. They want the tuition. The more
students they have, the more money they have.
Beth

--
http://www.evansplumbing.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=