Re: Standards and frustrating situation

Subject: Re: Standards and frustrating situation
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:43:56 -0600

Howdy,

I have worked in a couple of situations near to what you described.
In my experience, there are a few of those problems in every job;
you always get a control-freak or someone who does not pull their weight.
I have learned to ask myself a few questions: Are the problems
bigger than the benefits? Can I live with this situation if it NEVER
changes? Can _I_ do anything to make it better?

I have yet to change another person (trust me, I've tried). If I cannot
handle their behavior, I deal with them as little as possible. I have
succeeded in changing some processes and procedures, but never
when it was me against the rest of the department. And, if I have
tried to be the best I can be and change what I can yet I'm still miserable,

I might as well move on because it probably won't get any better.

I have also learned to say "No". I have never been fired for saying
"my plate is full, I cannot take on that project." I have never even
been given a bad review for it. I have had people yell and try to talk
me into it. I have had people try to manipulate me into it. But I have
never been fired or dinged for refusing, in a calm and mature manner,
to take on more than I can handle. I have gotten in lots of trouble for
saying I could handle something I could not. When I do the best I can and
act with responsibility, honesty and maturity, I find out everything works
out fine (even if it might get hairy for a little while). And I gain the
respect
of my managers and coworkers.

About getting a job in the TW field, many of us started out somewhere
else originally. If you have writing experience and writing samples, you
probably can find a job in the field.

It sounds like you might not be really sure if you want this job or not.
You might want to really look at where you are, where you want to
be and what it will take to get you there.

Melonie Holliman
Tech Writer
CPD, AMD

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=