Re: Standards, getting stuff done, and generally frustrating situ ation

Subject: Re: Standards, getting stuff done, and generally frustrating situ ation
From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:01:41 -0500

Considering the tight deadline and heavy work load, I believe one fact from
the original post should be held up. There seems to be a team that is
responsible for the project in question.
At a seminar that I took not so long ago, the instructor gave us a bit of
advice that I think is paramount. In a team no one person is 100 percent
responsible. Only you can make yourself 100 percent responsible by refusing
to delegate work to others.
If others on the team are only interested in playing Quake, then so be it.
Have a meeting where each member of the team is given responsibilities. If
you do not have the authority to impose responsibilities, make sure the
person who does is present. After that meeting worry only about your
portion of the work load.
Also learn how to say no to other work until you are comfortable with the
responsibilities you already have. If the game players and time wasters
think you're going to cover their asses and take the blame, why on earth
would they put in any effort. Give them responsibilities and let them fend
for themselves.

Eric L. Dunn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=