Java Help or Something Else?

Subject: Java Help or Something Else?
From: Kathy Das gupta <kdasgupt -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:27:40 -0500

Well, here is my problem...
I develop the Online Help for an application that is moving to a Java GUI
(release is sheduled for early summer). I have proposed delivering NetHelp.
I am currently working in ForeHelp. Our timeframe is very tight, and I am
hesitant to try another tool. The conversion COULD be a nightmare, and time
is really short.

The dev team is concerned about NetHelp. They have concerns about requiring
the users to have a single browser (Netscape). They are also concerned
about throwing away work, because the next release will use JavaHelp, which
is our ultimate plan. ForeHelp says they will release a version that
supports JavaHelp in mid-March. But, that is too late for me to get it into
our test group. (We have very strict test plans and timelines.) Finally,
the dev team is concerned about having to call a browser from different
platforms (browser on UNIX, browseron PC). This will take coding for each
platform, and is not in the spirit of being platform-independent.

I understand their concerns. But, I am in a time crunch. And the more time
we spend on these issues, the less I have to work on CONTENT! (Sound
familiar to anyone?) The way I see it: there will probably have to be some
compromises and "throw away work" because JavaHelp will not be ready in
time.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I work with a great dev team, and we work
well together. So, any suggestions that could help either side of this
equation are much welcome. Please reply directly to me as I am on digest.

Many thanks,
Kathy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=