Re: a beginner's html-editor?

Subject: Re: a beginner's html-editor?
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:57:07 -0600

You'll find some interesting information about how to choose an HTML editor
on my Web site:
Mary's Tips on Designing Web Sites
http://www.superconnect.com/marystips/

I'm inclined to agree with some of the other listees that you could use a
combination of WYSIWYG and non-WYSIWYG editors. My choice would be
Dreamweaver and its companion Homesite. I certainly would never start out
with a WYSIWYG editor, though, because your students would resent having to
code "by hand."

And I certainly would not choose FrontPage or Pagemill since those two
naughty programs throw in all sorts of unnecessary proprietary code--stuff
that's not needed for HTML coding--which would just confuse your students.
Besides, FrontPage codes for Internet Explorer, and to heck with how it
looks in Netscape.

But if it's too expensive to buy Dreamweaver (which comes bundled with
Homesite for the PC or BBEdit for the Mac), I'd just settle for Homesite.

Although it's non-WYSIWYG, it has such handy tagging tools that your
students will not only learn HTML but will be able to create Web pages
quickly and easily.

Homesite can also do the really fancy stuff like DHTML, Javascript, and
Stylesheets, so it's a great tool to have not only for basic HTML but for
advanced coding. Check it out at:

http://www1.allaire.com/Products/HomeSite/overview.cfm

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
http://www.superconnect.com
--------------------------oOo-----oOo---------------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
--------------------------oOo-----oOo--------------------------

At 12:08 PM 2/8/99 -0500, Jerry Kenney wrote:

>> I am teaching web-editing courses and need some advice on a simple easy,
>> cheap and wysiwyg html-editor for both windows and macintosh platforms.
>
>I know you asked for an off line comment, but I see a larger question
here. And
>that is why teach web editing with a wysiwyg authoring tool.
>
>HTML is not that complex that it requires an intermediary, especially in a
>learning situation. Most GUI tools are self instructional, so learners ought
>to be free to make their own preferences when the time comes. But for
learning
>purposes, I can see no better experience for finding out what calls a
hypertext
>page makes on network resources than by writing out the tags and commands in
>text.
>
>Other thoughts?
>
>Jerry

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=