Re: User-centered design

Subject: Re: User-centered design
From: Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:06:03 -0600

I couldn't have said it better. Notes is one of the most function-centered
applications that I have ever seen (beats some of those mainframe apps I
used in my early TW days by a long shot)! Maybe it was designed for a
select audience, which does not include the developers I work with.

Regards, Virginia

Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM> on 02/08/99 01:46:56 PM

Please respond to bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Virginia Day/US/DataCard)

In our previous episode, Susan W. Gallagher said:
> At 01:21 PM 2/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >There's a wonderful book titled "The Design of Everyday Things"...
> >I can't tell you the author's
> >name...
>
> Donald Norman, creator of Lotus Notes, professor emeritus of
> Cognitive Science at UC San Diego, and now, partnered with
> Jacob Nielson in a new venture, Nielson Norman Group.
> http://www.NNgroup.com/

Good god. The same person wrote _The Design of Everyday Things_ and
created Lotus Notes? I guess that's ipso facto proof that certain
insights don't translate well from the real world to computers.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Long noun chains don't automatically imply security."
-- Bruce Schneier

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=