Re: User-centered design (re: origin of Notes)

Subject: Re: User-centered design (re: origin of Notes)
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:33:20 -0600

In our previous episode, Steven Feldberg said:
> "Also, I've been using Lotus Notes, and let me tell you that I think it's a
> horrible system. It's very difficult to do the simplest thing. There are
> agents and templates of various sorts, and I just don't know how to use
> them or what to do with them. So we have a big support staff, which
> has got to be sign of bad software. Lotus Notes, to my mind, is not
> made for normal users. I've had this conversation with a fair number of
> people at Lotus, including Ray Ozzie, who invented it in the first place -
> and so far no one has disagreed with me."
> --Donald A. Norman (Author of "The Psychology of Everyday Things," among
> other books :)
>
> This was excerpted from an interview posted at
> http://www.cais.com/gershom/norman.html
>
> So let's kill this rumor now: Donald A. Norman did *not* invent Lotus
> Notes.

Thank you for the information. That makes so much more sense. I am
in 100% agreement with Donald Norman on what he said above.

And my apologies for assuming it was true when it sounded so
unbelievable. I should have checked first.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Long noun chains don't automatically imply security."
-- Bruce Schneier

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=