Multiple Authors and RoboHELP

Subject: Multiple Authors and RoboHELP
From: "Megan E. Rock" <megan -dot- rock -at- FANUCROBOTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:44:03 -0500

I am fairly new to the technical writing world--not quite two years in the
business--and am the lone technical writer in my company's Electronic
Documentation group. I am responsible for the final edits and
productization of our PC products, but it is the developers who are
responsible for writing the online help content. We are using RoboHELP to
create the online help for the PC products, and for this particular product
the developers will all be responsible for authoring and updating sections
of the help content that apply to the parts of the product they coded.

Has anyone else successfully managed multiple users and one help project?
We have ClearCase for source control of our code, but it doesn't work well
with binary files. It _will_ allow one user at a time to "check out" the
help project and edit it before checking it back in and making it available
to the next guy. My manager wondered if there was a way to only check out
specific Word documents associated with the help project but still leave the
help project available to other help authors. This would allow Developer
Joe to check out and work on one Word document in his copy of RoboHELP while
Developer Jane has checked out and is working on a separate Word document
within the same help project at the same time in her copy of RoboHELP.

Does anyone know if this can be done or if it is even remotely practical?
For the time being we are limited to multiple users and one help project,
but we are looking for ways to give more than one person at a time access to
the Word/RTF files.

Thanks in advance!

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer, Product Development
(248) 377-7948
megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=