Re: online help estimates

Subject: Re: online help estimates
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:18:10 -0600

Stephanie,
A few estimating approaches:
1. Allow roughly 7 hours per topic. This average works out only if you
have topics that vary in length.
2. Allow 15 days for the help for each form. Your development process
parallels the development of the form. Be sure that the final day or so is
scheduled after final testing on the form.
3. Number of forms x 10 tasks x 8 hours per task.
4. Number of tasks x hours per task. then add a week for prototyping and a
week for finishing (during testing).

At the risk of sounding cynical, you can hardly over-estimate a project that
has not yet been prototyped. Make that estimate generous and you'll only be
a little short!

> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:31:24 -0700
> From: Stephanie Holland <SLHOLLAND -at- MICRONPC -dot- COM>
> Subject: online help estimates

<snip> However, I'm managing an online help project for an
application that hasn't been prototyped yet. The project manager for this
application is basing her time estimate on the number of forms, modules and
reports the application will have. For example, she estimates that her
programmers will need 15 days to create each form (this includes analysis
through test).

> My problem is that one form might have two tasks associated with it, while
> another form might have 10. So, I need to determine an average I can work
> with.
>
> I don't feel comfortable basing my estimate on the number of forms in the
> application because our online help is task-based, not form-based. Should
> I base my estimate on the number of forms in the application, or is there
> another formula I should use? Does anyone have any experience with what I
> describe?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephanie Holland

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=